Click Here to Learn How Morris-Hall PLLC is helping clients during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Who is Your Health Care Agent?

Determining who will make your health care decisions upon your incapacity is a tough decision and should not be made lightly.

Many clients choose family members – often a spouse, if married, or an adult child.  Family members can be a great option.  They know and love you and, ideally, know your preferences for things such as end of life decisions.  Before you name a family member as your health care agent, talk to them.  Make sure the person you list as your decision maker is willing and able to take on this responsibility.  Be sure your agent is willing to fulfill your end of life decisions.  Not all family members feel comfortable with this role.

Once you have decided on your agent (and your agent has agreed to serve in this capacity), provide them with a copy of the documents naming them as your agent.  These should include a Health Care Power of Attorney, Mental Health Care Power of Attorney, Living Will and HIPAA release.  First, the agent will need these documents to prove they are the one to make your decisions in the event of incapacity.  Second, it will allow you and your agent to discuss your preferences on health care decisions.


What the Attorneys of Morris Hall Can Do For You:

The attorneys at Morris Hall have 100’s of years of combined experience ensuring that families’ assets are protected from probate, unnecessary taxes, creditors, ex-spouses and Medicaid spend-down.  The attorneys also help those in Arizona and New Mexico to apply for and receive Medicaid assistance and Veterans Benefits.  Our Arizona offices are located in Phoenix, Mesa, Scottsdale, Cave Creek, Tucson, Prescott, Flagstaff and Arrowhead.  Our New Mexico offices are located in Albuquerque, Las Cruces and Santa Fe.  Contact us today at 888.222.1328 to schedule an appointment!

This blog should be used for informational purposes only.  It does not create an attorney-client relationship with any reader and should not be construed as legal advice.  If you need legal advice, please contact an attorney in your community who can assess the specifics of your situation.


Leave a Reply