Click Here to Learn How Morris-Hall PLLC is helping clients during the COVID-19 pandemic.

My child is leaving for college. Is there anything they should prepare for?

We often think of making sure the dorm room is stocked and the backpack has a new computer.  However, often I see parents and grandparents forget that their new college student is also a new adult that needs adult documents.  This is an exciting time for young adults, as they begin to experience a new world.  As a parent the last thing you want to think of is that your child could incur an injury or become seriously ill, requiring a hospital stay.  Now that they are an adult it may not be as easy to help care for them as you did, just a short time ago.  It is important that part of their college preparation includes ensuring they have the legal documents needed to protect themselves and grant you the permission to help them, if needed.

Documents that are critical in case of an emergency are:

-          Health Care Power of Attorney

-          HIPAA Medical Release Form

-          Living Will

-          Property Power of Attorney

-          Docubank “In Case of Emergency” card

Of course we hope none of these medical documents ever need to be used, but if they do you will be very grateful that your child was prepared.

Cave Creek, Arizona Estate Planning Attorney West HunsakerContributed by MH Cave Creek, Phoenix and Flagstaff Estate Planning Attorney, B. West Hunsaker.

What the Attorneys of Morris Hall Can Do For You:
The attorneys at Morris Hall have 100’s of years of combined experience ensuring that families’ assets are protected from probate, unnecessary taxes, creditors, ex-spouses and Medicaid spend-down.  The attorneys also help those in Arizona and New Mexico to apply for and receive Medicaid assistance and Veterans Benefits.  Our Arizona offices are located in Phoenix, Mesa, Scottsdale, Cave Creek, Tucson, Prescott, Flagstaff and Arrowhead.  Our New Mexico offices are located in Albuquerque, Las Cruces and Santa Fe.  Contact us today at 888.222.1328 to schedule an appointment!

This blog should be used for informational purposes only.  It does not create an attorney-client relationship with any reader and should not be construed as legal advice.  If you need legal advice, please contact an attorney in your community who can assess the specifics of your situation.

Leave a Reply